Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Life in National Service (Program Latihan Khidmat Negara)

I am one of the millions of trainees nationwide who are called to participate in the National Service in year 2008. Unlike my other fellow unlucky friends (because got selected) who are lucky enough to camp in Melaka, my camp is located far away in Kluang, Johor, which takes me almost 2.5 hours journey to reach there by bus from Melaka. Approximately the same length of journey from Melaka to KL.

About My Camp
The Camp is known as Kem PTH Padang Hijau or Green Feild Resort - the best equipped camp (so far I knew) with the most beautiful landscapes atmosphered by rejuvenating fresh air. As the name suggested, the camp is surrounded in oil palm plantation...therefore "hijau", means green. In the sea of oil palm trees, there stand our lovely dorms...which looks rather like chalets, especially during night time under the argon lamps illumination. Since the land is uneven in height, the dorms are built on cliffs after cliffs, thus making the scene more like the "Hanging Garden" while being viewed from far. Every morning, this camp would be covered in a thick fog, sometimes much more intense than Genting Highland due to its high humidity. The air is simply cool, fresh and soul-enlightening. I am quite satisfied with these when compared to other camps. We have white marble floor in the dorm and brand new toilets. You could hardly believe that you can see a reflection of your face in the floor in C5 dorm! 1 more thing...I could hardly see any mosquitoes...but flies are a big threat!


These look rather like chalets than dorms.

General Info on PLKN
-Chairman is Tan Sri Lee Lam Thye
-Chief Minister is Dato' Haji Abdul Hadi Bin Awang Kechil
-Boys are called Wira, and girls are called as Wirawati, while the trainers are known as cikgu.
-Four main companies, Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta. I am in Delta.
-Accommodation - dorm
-Food and beverage - Malay foods
-Under JLKN (Jabatan Latihan Khidmat Negara)





These 2 photos are taken just after dawn. As you can
see the available sight radius is not even more than 150m.

Friends
I think that I am pretty much lucky to have 8 guys from my formal school accompanied me. Suppose to have 9 of them, but Chua Kwee Shen got exempted from participating in this program due to his medical situation. The other 8 were Lee Shih Tien, Tan Guan Ann, Tan Say Hao, Yeow Kin Woon, Jie Han, Yoga and Yusof. Lee Shih Tien and Tan Guan Ann even share the same dorm with me, while Kin Woon and Say Hao share the same Dorm. Kin Woon and I are already friend, and only acquainted with Tan Guan Ann and Lee Shih Tien. But within days an intimate friendship had developed within us, and also with other chinese trainees. Among them are William, Jason, Matthew, Ah Wee, Ann Xiang, Xiao Xiang, Chow Xiang, Winson, Ah Yonng, Ah Quan, Alan, Tee Ming Hian, Jia Hern...

From Above left : Ann Xiang, Me, Ah Wee, Staff, Winson, Ah Yong, Blackie Matthew.
From Below left: Ah Quan, Kin Woon, Shih Tien

Well, of course, I did make friend with some Wirawatis too. Ee Ling was among the first that I got to know, then Audrey, Hui Juan, Jessica, Siew Kian...and they had added in colour into my NS life. Among them Hui Juan and Siew Kian are the 11As scorers, exactly the same as me, then Ee Ling is 10 As. Really glad to know them. However in the camp there is some chemistry between Wira and Wirawati...well, since this is sensitive and personal so I would not gonna share much of it. But I could tell you that almost everyone did experience it.

Free time to spend with freind
There is actually quite a lot of free time while in the camp. This only refers to non-Muslim as Muslim would have to be forced to do their prayers 5 times a day! So that time we are on our on feet. But there is some limit, of course. So usually we'll take out snacks to enjoy and cook some cup noodle. Then, while eating we'll chit-chatting with each other, and talk about our life. There, I realized how lucky I am! We are all from different walks of life, from student to bartender and fighter! It is almost impossible for us to meet together, live under one roof and become close friend. But NS do! That's how I learn to appreciate people around me! Below are some photos of us in the camp, reminiscing the lovely memories.

Frenz 4eva!

Delta - the leading company

Cheeze!

Jessica and me

Xiao Juan and me

NOT ADVICABLE to Attend the 2nd batch!
This is really true for those who excel academically. Since we are only allowed to contact the 'outside world' through telephone and faxes, while not having a chance to serve the net, it stands us no chance at all to get to know more scholarships. Yes, newspaper are available but how much can we do? How to check our application results? Note that my parents are no good in this aspect. Moreover it is really troublesome to get out of the camp to attend all the interviews, as the procedures are pretty much and annoying. The situation then get worse when I was called to interview in Perak for the Petronas scholarship! And my parents have to run front and forth all the way from Melaka to Johor. Imagine that, one single journey (from Melaka to Johor) would cost my father's Datsun 120y RM30 for the petrol, and RM14 for the highway toll. So there is a total of 4 times of travelling the same journey when I took an off to go back Melaka (my dad go to Johor to fetch me, then go back home with me. Then go to Johor again to send me there, then go back to Melaka). So the total expenses is approximately RM176. Note that I did not go back once, but several times for some festivals such as Cheng Meng and the Wesak day. The total expenses would result a lost when I contra with the RM450 I recieve from them.

Low Jia Wei
Being helpless in the camp, 1 of my good friend swiftly turned up to lend me his helping hands on dealing with new scholarship applications. Thanks to Low Jia Wei who had helped me so much regardless on the money he spent for hours of calling me over the phone, and the time and effort he had contributed to help me apply those scholarships. He also keep me informed of the latest results via SMSing. Moreover, he even helped me wrote a thousand words essay for the Sime Darby scholarship. Sadly I got none of the scholarship...but still I am thankful to Jia Wei.

Why Unlucky
Well, there is a few reasons behind this. First - changes in physical appearance, which is also one of the aspect which youths concern the most. Through the 3 months of trainings under the programme...much of us (trainees) actually gain nothing physically but rather, surprisingly, weight. Why? Because we had 6 meals a day while working out too little!. Well, for some might be confused which 6 meals, they are breakfast, morning tea break, lunch, afternoon tea break, dinner and supper. Terrible. For Wiras, which include me, got our precious hair trimmed to the skin!!! Therefore we look the same...as dumb as a donkey. However it is very cooling and well ventilated. Some boys lose their power and confidence without hair (like Yeow Kin Woon) as he kept complaining he looks unattractive. However in my view, it is on the contrary. The best way to counter this is to put on a cap. So it is not strange for you to notice a sudden increase in the number of "botak"s and cap bearers recently following the end of the 2nd-batch training this month. Second - lost of freedom. Well, we gotta follow all kinda rules while in the camp. Eg, when we go outta our dorm, we'll need to put on a tidy attire. Just similar to my formal school, long pants, no jeans, well tucked- in collared shirt, and shoes with socks and it is made compulsory for the Malay girls to put on the tudungs and long sleeves shirt. Moreover, girls and boys are forbidden to interact for most instances. Only allowed in classes, or in some activities while under the trainers' strict monitoring. While in canteen, boys sit at the right side while girls at the left. This is okey as girls and boys should be mixed. Third - no more kakak and mom. Well this doesn't affect me much (though normally chores are done by my mom alone) however some of my friends begun to cultivate some habits. Good or bad? Both. For sure good one is that one become skillful and experienced in washing clothes and dishes, like me. However some became used to wear unwashed clothes that smell...well to be sarcastic, one spender can wear four times. How? normal, backside front, inside out, inside out and backside front. Muahaha!

Why Lucky?
Who would think that they are lucky to got selected? Think wisely. We are actually lucky to participate in this program. First - M-16, the dream of most trainees. Holding the Colt M-16 machine gun is once-in-a-lifetime chance. Well, you may hold the normal hand gun or hunter's rifle, but never an M-16. (except in Counter Strike) M-16 is made of stainless iron weight only 2.95 Kg. It's bullets are made of copper, and cost RM16 each! Under the close guidance and monitor of army officers, we are allowed to shoot 30 bullets in the shooting range. A target is given at a distance of 150 meters, and we do our best to aim the bull's eye. Finally, I manage to score the highest among the males in my company! With a total mark of 88 out of 100. (though i Know Bagi score 100!) . Second - get to know a lots of friends. In the camp I had really made lots of friends with people of all walks of life. well, I've explained everything previosly. Third - obtain a certificate. During my last day, I got the most precious thing, a yellow certificate with Najib's signature. This certificate definitely has its significance. We will be on advantages as we go for interview, and I think NS help me to got my Petronas scholarship. (that time I'm still in camp) Fourth - experience. I obtain many precious experience in the camp dealing with people and activities. Fifth - RM450. We would receive RM 150 from JLKN under Bank Pertanian Account every month, so a total of RM450 in three months. But should be RM550 as JLKN had promised to award those who obtain 9 As and above in the SPM examination. But it is obviously BULLSHIT when my account only shows RM420. However, as I've been told by the vice commandant, there is a new order from the JLKN recently which make us fully paid even that we leave the camp early. But the effects of the order still don't seems to show up when my one of my friend has only 150 in her account!













Here are some info on Colt M-16:
-light and easily handled
-durable and suits all land and weather conditions
-made in USA
-common weapon in WW2
-are used in the War of America in Vietnam
-bullet moves at a speed to 990.6 ms
-178kg of force is exerted by bullet when hit target
-15 bullets per second for auto-mode


The real situation of the shooting session in the shooting range. Try imagine how thunderous the shots are.

Fatality of NS trainee
NS has always been a sensitive issue in our country, especially cases concerning trainees' death.
There has been a total of 16 death since the program started in year 2004. Chilck here for wikilink.
Out of these 16, 1 death happened in my camp 2 years ago back in year 2006, which was caused by fight among Delta trainees.













1 comment:

  1. You are an idiot. The m16 wasn't around in world war 2, and is NOT a machine gun. It is an assault rifle.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a message here:

Rocks Collection

Rocks Collection
Rocks collected since I was young...

Uni Mates!

Uni Mates!
A picture mosaics of of V6 residents in year 2008.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails